UPDATE: Information in this blog post is no longer up to date. Please see the latest information here:
With the launch of XG Firewall v18 growing ever nearer, many of your customers will be planning for their software upgrade ahead of time, or maybe even considering a migration to XG from another firewall platform.
We will detail here which hardware models can upgrade to XG v18 and where a hardware refresh would be necessary to support an upgrade.
The good news is that all current and previous XG and SG Series hardware models with at least 4 GB of RAM can upgrade – a valid license is also necessary, of course. The XG 86 and 106 models were previously introduced specifically to address this requirement.
Restrictions for Previous Revisions
Any model with less than 4 GB cannot upgrade to v18.
XG v18 and Beyond Hardware Support Policy
This graphic provides an overview of the planned support policy.
- Any model which is not supported in v18 will continue to be supported on v17.5
- Any model which is only supported up to v18, e.g. older XG/SG revisions, can remain on v18 and will continue to receive support in line with our overall support policy
A complete overview of all models can be found at the bottom of this post.
Note: *Models with less than 4 GB are not supported in v18.
Determining the Revision Number of an Appliance
Customers may not know which revision they’re currently on.
- The revision number appears on the silver label which can usually be found on the underside of the appliance (near the manufacture date) but that may not be accessible if the hardware is mounted in a rack.
- You can also determine the revision number from the serial number. This is explained in this Knowledge Base article: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/118143
Model by Model Overview of XG v18 Support
The following tables show a model by model view of the XG/SFOS hardware support policy for both current and previous XG and SG Series hardware.
|Current XG Series||
XG/SFOS Version Support
|Previous XG Series||
XG/SFOS Version Support
|XG 85/85w*||1, 3|
|XG 105/105w*||2, 3|
SG Series (after migration to XG Firewall/SFOS)
|Current SG Series||XG/SFOS Version Support|
|Previous SG Series||XG/SFOS Version Support|
|SG 105/105w*||1, 2|
|SG 115/115w||1, 2|
|SG 125/125w||1, 2|
|SG 135/135w||1, 2|
|SG 210||1, 2|
* Model has less than 4 GB RAM