The XGS 7500 and XGS 8500 are engineered from the core to provide the performance needed to target larger enterprise and campus edge deployments.
- Address a broader target market from the smallest SMB right up to the campus edge
- Up to 47% higher throughput for all key protection vs. next highest model (details below).
- Industry-leading ROI per Protected Mbps comparable competitive models.
- Enterprise-Grade Acceleration with high performance Xstream Flow Processors and CPUs to meet the needs of the most demanding networks.
- High performance, high capacity with dual redundant Non-Volatile Memory express (NVMe) SSDs and a significant RAM increase over our other 2U models.
- High speed built-in connectivity with two QSFP28 ports on each model supporting ports speeds of up to 40 Gbps on the XGS 7500 and 100 Gbps on the XGS 8500.
- Up to 2x better power efficiency in combination with IPsec VPN than the industry average for comparable models.
These models are available to sell NOW.
- They are supported in Sophos Firewall OS v19.5 MR1 (released on February 15, 2023).
- They are in stock in our warehouses.
- The SKUs went live on Feb 15.
- The Sizing Tool has been updated (or reach out to the Firewall Sizing Desk).
Addressing a broader market
While Sophos is already an established firewall vendor in the SMB and distributed edge segments, with these new models, we’re extending our reach – and the opportunities for you – to address a broader market segment. This will allow us to go head-to-head with other incumbent firewall vendors, to offer firewalls which scale from the smallest SMB right up to the campus edge. Positioning our firewalls alongside our ecosystem of cloud-managed security products and services, including the threat hunting expertise which is at the heart of our highly successful Managed Detection and Response service, gives you a very compelling story.
But obviously, the hardware is just half of the story. We’re continuously augmenting the features in Sophos Firewall OS (SFOS) to address the needs of a broader customer base and so extend our reach into larger environments. Having custom-built XGS Series appliances to address the performance and scalability needs of these customers, allows them to fully benefit from our programmable Xstream architecture, with enterprise-grade acceleration at the hardware level, and a fully modular connectivity concept.
New levels of performance
Here are just a few of the performance highlights based upon our datasheet/brochure numbers:
|Description||XGS 7500||XGS 8500|
|Firewall throughput||160 Gbps
33% higher than XGS 6500
19% higher than XGS 7500
|IPsec VPN throughput||117 Gbps
7% higher than XGS 6500
21% higher than XGS 7500
|IPS throughput||71.5 Gbps
41% higher than XGS 6500
30% higher than XGS 7500
|NGFW throughput||58 Gbps
25% higher than XGS 6500
31% higher than XGS 7500
|Threat Protection throughput||26 Gbps
46% higher than XGS 6500
31% higher than XGS 7500
|SSL/TLS Inspection throughput||19.5 Gbps
22% higher than XGS 6500
23% higher than XGS 7500
Why Sophos: Industry-leading Return-on-Investment (ROI)
You can have the fastest car in the world, but if it costs an absolute fortune to buy, and guzzles gallons of fuel, then it’s probably not a good investment. Network firewalls are a little different.
- Our new models offer an industry-leading Price Per Protected Megabit per second (PPPMbps) when compared with competitor models.
- At less than half the cost of some leading firewall vendors, this is a strong competitive differentiator.
- They also provide energy efficiency which is significantly better than the industry average in this firewall category. We will share further data on this topic in a future blog post.
Product support for these models is part of the Sophos Firewall OS v19.5 MR1 release. The release also includes support for the new 5G module for our Desktop appliances.
The updated web pages are live. Translations are still in progress.
Other assets on the Partner Portal
- Updated Firewall Brochure
- Product Tech Specs
- What’s New Slide Deck
Please do not hesitate to reach out to your local Sophos team to learn more.